Saturday, November 22, 2008

Man Versus Statue

I was never one for art criticism but lately I have realized its a form of art in itself, so I am more interested in it. I mean, there is no "truth" to criticism, its just feeling, but without it there would be no "art", just productivity.
Anyway, lately I have been really into dark films like those of Ingmar Bergman or The Exorcist, and kind of wanting the album I am making to have that kind of feeling, but with all these funky beats they don't sound like that so I just tried taking the beats right out, with interesting results. I mean, I like to think records can have that kind of impact on somebody, but maybe pop music just isn't capable of that? Orchestral music is that kind of power but obviously I don't have one at my disposal unless I used midi sounds. Maybe I'm just being unconfident in my abilities. I mostly just want to be true to myself. I always admired Closer by Joy Division, it really seems like the heart of darkness so to speak, but its not something I would listen to for pleasure. I guess I listen to it to feel my own feelings more directly, as in resonance, but I have to be carefull because music like that can be infecting and really darken my entire outlook on life.

No comments: